Friday, August 14, 2009

About Me

My name is Sheri. I am the mother of two sweet girls and 3 out of 4 of us at home are on a Gluten Free diet. We are a small Christian family who homeschools as well. We are adventurous, creative and love to learn about the world around us.

After Celiac became a reality, the kids had a hard time adapting with the change and needed their own support group. I found a R.O.C.K. chapter in Salem and we attended one of their meetings. Our whole family benefited from the meeting and the kids loved it. Salem was a little far to travel every month and so we plunged in and started our own support group to help other children who are dealing with food issues.

I have to give the credit to my Heavenly Father for answering our prayers about our failing health. I started praying for my daughter when she was 2 years old in the year 2000. He kept answering my prayers and pointing to wheat, but I didn't want to go there. Finally after my own health failed so much, he lead me to a loving, kind voice that only had one answer, "Celiac - positive." No where else to go, but to accept the gluten free diet.

I keep reminding myself of Daniel in the bible and his desire to eat the way God instructed him to. Daniel was hand picked to honorably serve the king in his castle. Daniel and the other hand picked Israelites were assigned daily amount of food and wine from the kings table. "But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine." (Daniel 1:8) He worked out an agreement with the chief official for a trial diet of 10 days with only vegetables and water for him and his companions. "At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food." (Daniel 1:15) I try to keep in mind that gluten, casein and other allergies are defiling myself and were not meant for my lips.

I hope you find this website to be helpful. If you live close by, then I hope that we can meet at one of our group's events. (I took this posting from the "Home" page of our website. We were formally "Gluten Free Kids R.O.C.K.")

No comments:

Post a Comment