Saturday, October 3, 2009

Meals4Moms Gluten Free Casien Free - Week 1

We finished the first week of the Gluten Free/Casein Free menu from Menu4Moms.

http://livingglutenfreecaseinfree.com/ It was a healthier diet then we were use to. Lower in saturated fat, sugar and sodium. It is a great way to start a gluten free/casein free diet with a healthy start. The layout is easy to read and follow. Simply grab the grocery list, check your stock at home and take it to the store with you. Then when you get home there are suggestions on what you can do to prep for the week to make cooking the meals even easier. The recipes are good and easy to follow. There are notes on when to store the leftovers and what meal you will use them again.

Each week comes with an article to learn more about how to eat healthier and why. It was explained in simple terms and easy to learn why it is a good idea to lower our saturated fats and sugars.

The menu is good for increasing your veggies in your diet. My children like salads, but needed more kid friendly meals alternated. There were yummy salads they enjoyed and asked me to make again, like carrot salad and broccoli slaw. They did enjoy the ideas for eating sandwiches and did some experiments of their own. I hope they are working on a kid friendly gluten free/casein free menu.

This menu and recipes from Menu4Moms can be a great resource for even other food intolerances. You can work around them and substitute. The only one I noticed that would be a problem to substitute is egg intolerances. If you do have egg intolerances or allergies, I wouldn't recommend this menu plan. 

Are we going to continue this menu?  No.  It is taking us too long to finish a week, because my husband keeps wanting to take us out to eat.  After a bit I noticed that he isn't satisfied with what I am making.  That is his way of being polite, that he isn't thrilled about my cooking.   I am assuming he isn't satisfied,  because he is a meat and potato type guy.  And my daughter started itching (DH) from contamination.  So, instead of trying to improve our diet, it is much safer to feed my family the GFCF meals they are familiar with and enjoy.  I can still push more salads on them. 

Will we use the recipes?  Yes, some of them are good and some of them need more garlic and spices for our liking.  There are some of them that I won't use, because I already have a recipe that I like better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment